The Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street board of directors has endorsed the proposed continuation of the half-cent Capital Improvements (CIP) Sales Tax, which will be on the April 4th municipal ballot.
The current half-cent Capital Improvement Sales tax was initially approved by voters in 1997 for a period of 10 years (1998-2008), and was continued in 2007 for an additional 10 years (2008-2018). The funds generated by this sales tax can be used for capital improvements only.
The proposed projects that would be made possible by the half-cent sales tax that have a direct impact on downtown Lee’s Summit include 3rd Street reconstruction from M-291 to Green Street (east) and Jefferson Street to US 50 (west), Douglas Street reconstruction from 2nd Street to Chipman, Independence Avenue reconstruction from Chipman to 5th Street, and the construction of an additional downtown parking garage. Additional projects include road reconstruction, streetlight upgrades and additions, residential curb replacement, sidewalks, storm water infrastructure improvements, and much more throughout the community. (A detailed project list and map can be found here.)
“The investment into the infrastructure at the heart of our city is vital for the continued growth and success of the entire Lee’s Summit community,” stated Lynn Hinkle, president of Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street Board of Directors. “The entire list of improvements will help ensure that Lee’s Summit continues to be one of the best cities to live, work and play.”
This is a continuation of an existing tax and is not a new tax or tax increase. The current tax is set to expire on March 2018. This renewal would be for a 15 year period (2018-2033).
More information on the April 4, 2017 election, including the proposed half-cent Capital Improvement Sales Tax Continuation, can be found here: http://cityofls.net/City-of-Lees-Summit/Elections
Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street Inc. (DLSMS), a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the revitalization of Downtown Lee’s Summit, Missouri, is accepting resumes for a 2017 summer internship focused on special events and marketing.
- Develop and draft content for Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street social media, website e-newsletters and other external channels as needed
- Assist, plan and execute events, including taking the lead on the Annual Downtown Sidewalk Sale and Farmers Market Christmas in July event
- Design and creation of marketing materials including brochures, digital content, posters, ads and other collateral
- Assist with other special events and programs, as needed
- Interest in nonprofits and marketing
- General knowledge of social media platforms
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products
- Experience in design based products such as Adobe Creative Suite or Creative Cloud
- Video production and editing a plus, but not required
- Ability to work a minimum of 15 hours per week
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to work independently
- Enjoys working with people
- Part Time – 20 hours per week preferred
- June-August (flexible start/finish dates)
- Office Hours are M-F 8:30 am – 5:30 pm with some evenings and weekends
Please send the following to Donnie Rodgers, Jr. at email@example.com by March 31, 2017.
- Cover letter
- Resume with references
- Two writing samples
- Two examples of design work
- If completing internship for school credit, please include those requirements needing to be met
About Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street, Inc.: Established in 1989, Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street Inc. (DLSMS) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the revitalization of Downtown Lee’s Summit, Missouri. DLSMS follows the Main Street Four-Point Approach® to commercial district revitalization and is an accredited Main Street program through the National Trust Main Street Center. Downtown Lee’s Summit is a recipient of the Great American Main Street Award®, naming it one of the top downtowns in the nation.
Celebrate all things Irish during the annual EMERALD ISLE PARADE, which begins at noon Saturday, March 11, in Downtown Lee’s Summit. The main parade route is on Green, Third and S.E. Main streets. The popular parade and fun activities before and after take place every year the Saturday before St. Patrick’s Day. This year’s Vegas inspired theme is “Feelin’ Lucky.”
The 2017 Emerald Isle Grand Marshal, Nancy Bruns, served as the Lee’s Summit Chamber of Commerce president from 2000-2016. “What an honor to be selected as this year’s Grand Marshal,” Bruns said. “The Emerald Isle Parade is one of my favorite Lee’s Summit events, and I feel privileged to be chosen to lead the parade this year.”
Back this year (with a slight twist) is the Traditional Irish Breakfast, which will now take place the morning of the parade from 8 to 11 a.m. at Llywelyn’s Pub, 301 SE Douglas St. Tickets are $15 in advance, and $20 at the door and can be purchased at Llywelyn’s Pub Lee’s Summit location. Advanced tickets are recommended.
The Bits O’ Gold Coin Hunt takes place at 11:30 a.m. in Howard Station Park on SE Main Street. Children 8 and younger may participate in this race to find green and gold coins in the grass at Howard Station Park. No registration is necessary. Prizes will be awarded for children in each age group who find the rare golden coins.
More than 60 Downtown retail and specialty stores will be open throughout the day as they celebrate and showcase spring decor. Downtown restaurants and bars will feature their annual Emerald Isle Pub Crawl which will take place at approximately 1PM, following the parade, and will continue into the evening. To purchase an Emerald Isle Pub Crawl T-shirt or for more information, visit any Downtown Lee’s Summit bar or restaurant.
Judges for this year’s Emerald Isle Parade are Jason Lamb, sports reporter at WDAF-TV Fox 4; Chuck Denton, former Emerald Isle Parade grand marshal; and Jessica Kurzweil, former Emerald Isle committee member.
For more details, visit www.downtownLS.org/events.
The Emerald Isle Parade, is presented by Llywelyn’s Pub, and sponsored by TMC Lakewood Counseling, Amtrak Missouri RiverRunner, Weed Man, Down to Earth Services, Lee’s Summit Journal, and Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street.
— END —
Family-friendly event happens the fourth Friday of each month, March-August, in Downtown Lee’s Summit
Fourth Fridays Art Walks in Downtown Lee’s Summit are packed with a variety of activities including artist receptions, art showcases, Music in the Park at Howard Station Park, street theater, Yoga in the Streets, and even some surprises. Join your neighbors and friends for this exciting 2017 season, happening on the 4th Friday of the month from March through August, 5-8pm.
How it works: Downtown Lee’s Summit businesses sign up to host an artist each month and the artist’s work will be on display the night of that month’s event. The artist is also on-site to answer any questions patrons may have about their work. Many artists have their works available for purchase the night of the event, and in June, donate a portion of their proceeds to a charity of their choice. The event is free to attend and maps of all participating venues will be available within those shops and restaurants.
“It has been very rewarding to see the growth of Fourth Fridays Art Walk in Downtown Lee’s Summit,” said Melissa McGhee. “As an artist, I’ve had exhibits of my own in various downtown businesses, and it’s wonderful to be able to reach a new audience with my work. As the current chair of the Cultural Arts Committee, it’s exciting to see the number of artists reaching out to us to participate this year and to see that our following is growing steadily. It’s a great event for all ages and it’s a great way to discover Downtown Lee’s Summit.”
Each month, the Fourth Fridays Art Walk has a different theme that the art or artist tie into. Themes for the 2017 season are as follows:
March 24 – Makers in March
April 28 – Art in Our Schools & Alley Kick-Off
May 26 – Music in May
June 23 – Art for a Cause & Cocktail Crawl
July 28 – July for Guys
August 25 – Art in the Alleys
More information about the event can be found at www.downtownLS.org/fourthfridaysLS.
Annual Spring Open House Features Giveaways, Instructional Classes
Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street is hosting its annual Spring Open House from Friday through Saturday, March 3-4, during regular business hours of participating stores. Downtown businesses will feature Spring home décor, specialty gifts, clothing and more, which you can explore throughout the award-winning downtown.
During the event, customers are invited to visit each participating store to enter to win a Downtown Gift Basket and a $100 Downtown Lee’s Summit gift card.
Shoppers will also have a chance to attend instructional classes held at participating stores and taught by local business owners and subject-matter experts. A map including information on class schedules, entering the giveaway contest, and store hours will be available at each participating business.
News Release Downloads:
Celebrate all things Irish during the annual Emerald Isle Parade, which begins at noon Saturday, March 11, 2017 in Downtown Lee’s Summit. The popular parade and fun activities before and after take place the Saturday before St. Patrick’s Day. This year’s parade theme is “Feelin’ Lucky.”
Marching bands, color guards, dance teams, and some other entertainment groups will not be charged for their entries. All other groups pay a small fee to participate. If you are interested in having a float or entry in the parade, please contact Julie Cook at 816-246-6598 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for parade entry applications is February 24.
The Emerald Isle Parade, hosted by Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street, is presented by Llywelyn’s Pub and sponsored by Amtrak/Missouri River Runner, Down to Earth Services, Lakewood Counseling/Truman Medical Center, Weed Man, and the Lee’s Summit Journal.
More information about the event can be found at www.downtownLS.org/events.
Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street is hosting its annual Chocolate Crawl for a Cause event starting at noon on Saturday, February 4 in Downtown Lee’s Summit, MO. Donations generated by the event will benefit Lee’s Summit Social Services.
Again this year, participants are asked to bring a small donation to benefit Lee’s Summit Social Services this winter season. Donation preferences are monetary and non-perishable food items and can be dropped off at GOT Art Gallery from 12-4pm on the day of the event. In return for the gift, the first 750 shoppers will be given a special Lee’s Summit chocolate bar (courtesy of MCC/Longview and Lee’s Summit Chamber of Commerce), an event wristband, and a downtown map.
The wristband allows for participation in promotions and discounts that day as a special thank you from Downtown Lee’s Summit shops and restaurants for the donation to our community. Participating stores will be highlighted on the downtown map given to shoppers so they can easily find the businesses providing promotions and discounts. Shoppers can use the map or follow the balloons for chocolate treats, discounts, and Valentine’s Day shopping.
Participating businesses and their promotion/discount are as follows:
- @jolly’s: 10% off storewide
- A Thyme for Everything: Tax free shopping
- Advanced Sports & Family Chiropractic + Acupuncture – Lee’s Summit Location: Complete a spinal screening to receive in-store raffle for an Insignia 32″ TV. Donate $25 to LSSS in-store and schedule a free chiropractic exam.
- Blue Heron Design: $10 off a purchase of $50 or more
- The Browning Lee’s Summit: 10% off reservations made that day
- Cameron’s Home Furnishings: In-store drawings
- Courageouslifenow,KHL Design Studio, Celebrating Personal Treasures: raffle for 3 career/life coaching sessions and a 55 picture life celebration video / DVD package
- Equity Bank: giveaways and drawings for gifts
- The Eye Station Lees Summit: Enter a drawing for a free eye exam; 25% off sunglasses
- Fringe Beerworks: $1 Chocolate Beer Tasters; $2 off full pours of select beers
- Good Life Yoga and Tea: 20% off all Chocolate Teas
- Grains & Taps: Chocolate beer specials
- Henry’s Antiques & Collectibles: 30% off total purchase
- KD’s Books: 10% off storewide
- Lee’s Summit Social Services Thrift Store: 20% off storewide; Free hot chocolate
- The Living Stone: 10% Off Total Purchase
- Llywelyn’s Pub Downtown Lee’s Summit: 15% off
- Luxxe Apparel: 10% off; enter to win a $100 gift certificate
- Main Slice Pies & Pints: $3 domestic draws, $2.50 slices of pizza
- Maria Estelle Brows + Skin: Raffle for a free “paparazzi” skin treatment; 15% off appointments booked for a later date
- Neighborhood Cafe: $1 slices of chocolate cream pie and german chocolate pie
- Poppy’s Ice Cream & Coffee House: 10% off total order
- Razzberry Wimzy: 20% off Fabricut Fabrics
- Red Door Wine Store: $5 chocolate and wine tasting from 12-3pm (2 chocolates & 2 wines)
- Shining Light Music: 10% off total purchase
- The Sports Scene (Lee’s Summit, MO): 10% off all merchandise; Buy one get one half off (equal or lesser value)
- Summit Video Services: 14% Off Valentine’s Day Transfer Gifts (Video, Audio, Photos, etc.)
- Third Street Social: Enter drawing for gift certificates
- Timekeeper’s Clock Shop: Tax free shopping
- Very Violet Boutique: $5 off a $20 purchase & enter drawing for a free class
- Whistle Stop Coffee and Mercantile: Free samples of Chocolate Raspberry coffee and $1 off per pound of Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Beans
- Xpressions Boutique by colorXpressions: 10% off total sale
Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street presents Chocolate Crawl for a Cause in partnership with MCC/Longview and the Lee’s Summit Chamber of Commerce.
We might be a little partial, but we think Downtown Lee’s Summit gift cards make the perfect last-minute (or week before) gift. Order from the comfort of your home (and your pajamas) and we’ll either ship them to you or straight to a lucky recipient of your choice!
Accepted at more than 50 locally-owned downtown businesses, the possibilities are endless. From cocktails and back adjustments to oil changes and wedding dresses, our participating downtown shops and restaurants have you covered!
Gift cards will be available for purchase at:
- Farmers Market Holiday Mart | Saturday, December 17 from 9AM-2PM | LS Elementary School Gym
- Monday, December 19-Thursday, December 22 from 8:30AM-5:30PM | Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street Office (13 SE 3rd St.)
- Friday, December 23 from 8:30AM-Noon | Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street Office (13 SE 3rd St.)
Gift card sales (in person and online) will end at Noon on December 23rd and will not be available again until the new year when our office re-opens.
Collaboration is a Win-Win for Missouri Main Street Connection, Fossil Forge and Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street
Missouri Main Street Connection (MMSC) unveiled their new branding and logo at the most recent Quarterly Workshop in Chillicothe, Missouri. The new brand is a product of collaboration between Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street, Fossil Forge, and Missouri Main Street Connection.
As a follow up to their 10th anniversary year, MMSC asked the Executive Directors of their Main Street communities to seek out local design and marketing firms within their community who would submit logo and branding proposals for consideration as the new image of MMSC. When presenting the branding competition to the Main Street communities, MMSC asked that the new logo and brand showcase the spirit of Main Street in Missouri. As a reward, MMSC provided a $5,000 reward that would be given to the winning firm, to then be donated to the Main Street community where that firm is located.
A committee created by MMSC selected the winning design from a group of over ten submissions, and the winning design was one submitted by Fossil Forge on behalf of Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street. Fossil Forge, a Lee’s Summit-based design firm, donated their time to help create the new brand.
Dave Eames, owner of Fossil Forge and a member of the Board of Directors for Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street, said of the process, “We set out to create a fresh logo that represented the physical and human connection of the Missouri Main Street program and its communities. We were considerate of the current logo, thinking about how we might use existing elements in a new way.”
“Housed inside the outline of Missouri, the grid represents the roads, connections and intersections of our main streets and town squares. The colorful blocks between the lines are the prairies, forests, farms and rural patches of our state. The pattern of bricks and stone crisscross the logo, which are key building blocks to our modern and historic towns and cities.”
MMSC will begin using the new branding in 2017.
Head to Downtown Lee’s Summit on Dec. 2-3 for Hometown Holiday where the friendliest merchants around will help you find those perfect holiday gifts. Check out all the wonderful gift and decorating ideas featured in the shops in Downtown Lee’s Summit. Enjoy classes taught by local experts and business owners while shopping for the holidays. Two lucky shoppers will win a Downtown Lee’s Summit gift card ($50 or $100)! Dine and unwind at one of 15+ downtown restaurants, pubs and cafes.
Other fun and festive activities include a free gift wrapping station and photos with Santa on Saturday. A free gift wrapping station will be provided at Budget Blinds from 12-4pm on Saturday, courtesy of Lee’s Summit Community Church. Santa Claus will be visiting GOT Art Gallery from 3-5pm for photos with children of all ages.
Downtown Lee’s Summit gift cards will be available for purchase at the Downtown Lee’s Summit Main Street office (13 SE 3rd St.) on Saturday from 10am-5pm. They make great gifts for anyone one your list!
Hometown Holiday Saturday Class Schedule:
10AM – Holiday Bow Making
Henry’s Antiques & Tea Room
401 SE Douglas St.
11-11:30AM – Free Scrapbook Layout
100 SE 3rd St.
11AM – DIY Amy Howard Painting Demonstration
Very Violet Boutique
20 SW 3rd St.
1PM – Awesome Christmas Cards
Summit Video Services
21 SE 3rd St.
2-4PM – Family Paint ($15/person)
GOT Art Gallery
18 SW 3rd St.
- A Thyme for Everything
- Blue Heron Design
- Budget Blinds of Lee’s Summit
- The Cigar Room
- GOT Art Gallery
- Henry’s Antiques & Tea Room
- KD’s Books
- The Living Stone
- Luxxe Apparel
- Razzberry Wimzy
- Red Door Wine Store
- Scrapbook Boutique
- The Sports Scene
- Summit Video Services
- Third Street Social
- Timekeeper’s Clock Shop
- Very Violet Boutique
- Whistle Stop Coffee & Mercantile
Free public parking for Downtown Lee’s Summit events is always available at the parking garage located at 2nd and Green streets.